A few weekends ago my friend Stephanie turned 23 and as per usual we celebrated over delicious food! Lucky for me, my friend Natalie was also in town for a visit 🙂 Wonderful people and things to celebrate equals experimentation in the kitchen (with hopes of culinary miracles).
We decided on brunch, which made it quite easy for me because I’ve been wanting to make Huevos Rancheros for ages now. I wanted a version that was lightened up because in my experience it has been a bit heavy and saucy. Needless to say, I found the perfect balance.
2 cups romaine lettuce, diced
1 green onion, diced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
1- 15 oz can pinto beans
1/2 cup tomatillo salsa
8, 6 inch corn tortillas (I got mine from the farmers market)
3/4 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Combine lettuce, green onion, oil, lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
2. Combine beans and tomatillo salsa.
3. Coat both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray and assemble in overlapping pairs.
4. Spread 1/3 cup of bean mixture over each set of tortillas and top with shredded cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until warm and cheese is melted.
5. Fry eggs in pan and season with salt and pepper.
6. To serve, top each tortilla with a fried egg and a generous heaping of the lettuce mixture.