I have taken to the green smoothie trend as of late and being that it is St. Patrick’s Day I thought it would be the perfect time to share it with all of you! I have been drinking this just about every morning for the past two weeks and I still love it, which must count for something…
– 1/2 cup plain 0% greek yogurt
– 1 banana (fresh or frozen)
– 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
– 1/2 cup frozen mango
– 1 cup skim milk
– 1/2 cup fresh spinach
– 1-2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
– Put everything in the blender, blend until smooth, and enjoy!
I love summer produce. But, most of all I love mango. I was introduced to this amazing summer fruit by an old family friend at the ripe young age of 8 and I never looked back! I came across this recipe and I knew immediately it would be delicious and perfect for a hot summer day (which we have definitely had a few of lately).
Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 teaspoons curry powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 36 shrimp)
2 cups water
2/3 cup coconut milk
1 1/4 cups uncooked jasmine
3/4 cup shredded carrot
2 cups diced peeled mango
1 1/2 cups diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Bring water and coconut milk to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Add carrot and next 7 ingredients (through salt); toss gently to combine.
- Prepare grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Thread 6 shrimp onto each of 6 skewers. Place skewers on grill rack or grill pan coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done. Serve skewers over salad.
If you are looking for a few more vegetables to add to the plate you can quickly blanch something of your choice. I used green beans and asparagus, as they needed to be used up but bok choy would also work well. The shrimp skewer was topped with a simple mango salsa consisting of diced mango, red onion, red pepper, lime juice, and cilantro for an added freshness but the shrimp definitely have enough flavor to stand alone as well 🙂